THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT (POPIA)
At Startwise (including SME South Africa (Pty) Ltd and associated businesses) we are committed to protecting your privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully and transparently.
About the Company
SME South Africa (Pty) Ltd t/a Startwise
The information we collect
We collect and process your personal information mainly to contact you for the purposes of understanding your requirements, and delivering services accordingly. For this purpose we will collect contact details including your name and organisation.
We collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to collect standard internet visitor usage information.
How we use your information
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and agreed with you. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or research purposes.
- To gather contact information;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorized user for security purposes;
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your personal information to our service providers who are involved in the delivery of products or services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information Act.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. On an on-going basis, we will continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your personal information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal data;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and use of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy, and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain responsible for is kept secure.
We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
Your Rights: Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, contact us at the numbers/addresses provided on our website and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before providing your personal information.
Please note that any such access request may be subject to payment of a legally allowable fee.
Correction of your information
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to the personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your personal information accurate.
Definition of personal information
According to the Act ‘‘personal information’’ means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. Further to the POPI Act, COR Concepts also includes the following items as personal information:
- All addresses, including residential, postal, and email addresses.
- Change of name – for which we require copies of the marriage certificate or official change of name document issued by the state department.
How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice; you need further information about our privacy practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
DECLARATION AND INFORMED CONSENT
By signing up to use the service, I/ the Data Subject confirm that my / the Data Subject’s Personal Information provided is:
– Accurate, up to date, not misleading and is complete in all respects, save where same may change and then in such an event, I/ the Data Subject undertake to advise Startwise or its Associates/ Third party developers and Suppliers (hereafter referred to collectively as “the Parties”), of these changes.
– I, / the Data Subject, in providing the required Personal Information to Startwise and / or the Parties, consent and give permission to the Parties to process and further process my /the Data Subject’s Personal Information as and where required and acknowledge that I/ the Data Subject understand the purposes for which the Personal Information is required and for which it will be used.
– Furthermore, should any of the Personal Information which has been provided by myself concern or pertain to a legal entity whom I represent, I confirm that I have the necessary authority to act on behalf of such legal entity/ Data Subject and that I have the right to provide the Personal Information and / or the required consent to use said Personal Information, on behalf of the legal entity.
– Furthermore, should any of the Personal Information belong to any of my dependents and/or beneficiaries who are underage, I in my capacity as their legal guardian and competent person give the Parties the appropriate permission to process their Personal Information for the purposes for which these details were given.
Cookies are small text files placed on your machine to help the site provide a better user experience. Cookies are used to retain user preferences, store information, and provide anonymized tracking data to third-party applications like Google Analytics. Cookies will enhance your browsing experience; however, you may prefer to disable cookies. The most effective way to do this is to disable cookies in your browser. We suggest consulting the Help section of your browser or please click here (https://www.aboutcookies.org/) to get further guidance for all modern browsers.